This is a juried show.
Selection is based on excellence, originality, creativity and technical achievement.
Artists may enter up to three pieces in any medium.
17th Sidney Fine Art Show
|Entries Open||May 1, 2019|
|Entries Close||July 15|
|Adjudication Art Drop Off||September 8|
|Adjudication Art Pick Up||September 11|
|Accepted Art Show Drop Off||October 15|
|Accepted Art Show Pick Up||October 20|
|Opening Night Awards||October 17|
|Saturday Soiree||October 19|
|Show Dates||October 18 – 20|
Call to Artists 2019
ENTRIES ACCEPTED MAY 1, 2019 – JULY 15, 2019
The 17th Annual Sidney Fine Art Show will be held OCTOBER 18 – 20, 2019 at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney, BC presented by the ArtSea Community Arts Council.
This is a juried show. Selection is based on excellence, creativity, originality and technical achievement with emphasis on artistic accomplishment.
HOW TO ENTER
- Complete electronic Entry Form, or Download PDF Entry Form, fill in and send to Sidney Fine Art Show, PO Box 2221, Sidney, BC V8L 3S8
- Fee payment must accompany Entry Form.
- 1, 2 or 3 pieces may be entered in any medium.
- Submission Guidelines must be followed.
- Artwork must be brought to Adjudication in September for jurying. No electronically submitted images of artwork are required or accepted.
ENTRY FEE: $16 per piece. Non-refundable.
Packages will be mailed to all entered artists after entries close, no later than July 31, 2019.
Package includes: Art Identification Forms for each submitted piece and instructions for art drop off for Adjudication.
September 8 – 11, 2019 at Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney, BC
All submitted artwork must be brought in on Sunday, September 8.
All artwork is viewed by 3 independent qualified Jurors in one – two days.
All artwork must be picked up by the artist or designate on the final day, Wednesday September 11.
All Artists will be notified by email within one week following Adjudication if accepted or not.
Accepted Artists receive Accepted Artists Package listing Title(s) of chosen artwork and instructions for Show.
October 18 – 20 at Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney, BC
DISPLAY FEE: $37 per piece
Accepted Artists whose work has been accepted for the Show must pay display fees.
All artwork must be for sale with price set by the artist.
25% commission taken on all artwork sold at the Show.
This Show is run entirely by volunteers.
Please consider volunteering at Adjudication (September 8 – 11), for Show prep and/or the Show (October 15 – 20).
- Up to three (3) pieces per artist are permitted. Submission fees are $16 per piece, non-refundable.
- Artwork can be 2-dimensional (2-D) or 3-dimensional (3-D) in any medium.
- Maximum size for 2-D work is 7ft. high x 7 ft. wide and must include the frame in the total measurement.
- Maximum size for 3-D work is up to 10 ft. high.
- Artwork must be original work by the artist named on the Entry Form, completed within the past 2 years and not previously exhibited on Vancouver Island south of Duncan, BC.
- Artwork must be your own idea, composition and image. It cannot be a direct copy of a photograph unless you took the photo yourself; it cannot be a copy of another artists’s creative work; it cannot be an image from a publication or the internet unless permission has been obtained from the copyright holder.
- All artwork submitted must be for sale with a minimum price of $350.00
- Digital Art includes computer-generated art and photography:
- Computer-generated art must be entirely original and/or created from your original work.
- Photography that has been creatively altered by digital manipulation or used as a base to be painted, drawn or otherwise worked upon, must be identified as such by the artist and shown to be an interpretation of the original image. Artists may only alter their own original photographs. Photographs taken by someone other than the artist cannot be used unless permission has been obtained from the copyright holder.
- Photographs may be printed on any substrate.
- Limited Editions: A hand-generated print, computer-generated print or photographic print or cast sculpture or work created on a 3-D printer will be accepted ONLY if it is the first work of a limited edition of no more than 10. All Limited Editions must include a Certificate of Authenticity stating the number of editions and medium. The work must be on exhibit for the first time and no editions are to be sold prior to the Show.
- Engravings, lithographs and etchings must include a Certificate of Authenticity.
- The following will NOT be accepted:
- Artwork that has previously been awarded a prize in any other art show anywhere.
- Reproductions and copies of paintings, drawings, sketches, etc. This includes giclee, inkjet and archival ink reproductions of such work.
- Work created in workshops or classes under instruction.
- Work brought in at Adjudication with wet paint or varnish.
- For Adjudication, all artwork must be completed and gallery-ready for display. Jurors will consider all submitted work as finished.
- Artists submitting heavy pieces must provide assistance for moving artwork in and out of the venue.
- Accepted artwork cannot be altered in any way following Adjudication.
- Accepted artwork is not to be sold prior to the Show.
- For Show presentation, artwork will be placed for display at the discretion of the Show Designer.
- The Sidney Fine Art Show requests artists respect the cultural rights and protocols of First Nations, Inuit and Metis. Artists must be authorized to use First Nations, Inuit and Metis designs in their work. Proof of permission will be required. Work must be culturally appropriate in its content.
COPYRIGHT, LIABILITY AND SECURITY
- The Sidney Fine Art Show reserves the right to remove any artwork from adjudication that may contravene copyright laws or Show submission guidelines. Copyright information can be found at artistslegaloutreach.com.
- The Show organizers and volunteers are instructed to take the utmost care when handling all artwork. The Sidney Fine Art Show is not to be held legally or financially responsible for any damage that may occur while the artwork is being displayed for Adjudication or presented in the Show.
- The Sidney Fine Art Show provides security on all artwork submitted while it is on site for Adjudication and Show.
Complete electronic form, or download the PDF entry form, fill in and send to Sidney Fine Art Show, PO Box 2221, Sidney, BC V8L 3S8.
1 piece -$16, 2 pieces – $32, 3 pieces – $48. Non refundable.
- Online: PayPal, Entry Form (see above)
- Mail: Send completed Entry Form with cheque for total amount of entry fees to Sidney Fine Art Show, P.O. Box 2221, Sidney, B.C. V8L 3S8.
- In Person: Bring completed Entry Form with payment to the ArtSea office, ArtSea Gallery at Tulista Park, 9565 Fifth Street, Sidney, B.C., Monday – Friday, 10 am – 4 pm.
- Best in Show
- Best Work on Canvas or Board
- Best Work on Paper or Under Glass
- Best 3-Dimensional
- Best Photograph or Digital Media
- Best Work in Masters Category
- Colin Graham Award
- Show Designer Award
- Juror Choice Awards
What is the deadline for entries?
Entries must be received by July 15, 2019 including completed Entry Form and payment. Entries received after this date will no be accepted.
Do I need to send digital images of the work?
No. All entered artwork must be brought in for Adjudication in September for the Jurors to physically view.
Do you charge tax on art sales?
Yes. PST is added at the Sales desk. The Show remits the PST to the provincial government.
Can a woodworker, jeweler, potter, fibre artist enter?
Yes. All mediums are accepted for Adjudication.
Do I have to pay more if my piece is accepted into the Show?
Yes. The Display Fee for accepted art is $37 per piece; two pieces $74, three pieces $111.
When will I be contacted once my entry has been submitted?
All artists who have entered will receive an Information Package in the mail no later than July 31. This package will have specific numbered Art Identification forms for you to fill in for each piece of work you have entered, and instructions for Adjudication.
How does adjudication work?
The three Jurors individually view each piece of art entered and score it from 1 – 5. Aggregate scores are then tallied from each Juror’s score sheet for each Art Identification number. Jurors only confer as a group when choosing the Prize winners.
Is framing important?
Yes. Professional presentation is required. Entered artwork must be ready for display with proper hanging system in place.
What is the minimum price allowed for a piece?
The minimum allowed is $350. Artists set the prices for their work. The Show does not adjust the price of accepted art from what the Artist has entered on the Art Identification form.
If my work sells, is there a commission?
Yes. The Show charges a 25% commission on sales calculated on pre-tax price.
What if I have a GST number?
Fill in your GST number on the Entry Form and include the GST in the price you put on the Art Identification form. You are responsible for remitting the GST to Canada Revenue.
If my limited edition is accepted, can I sell all limited editions at the Show?
No. Only the edition exhibited in the Show may be sold. Please read the submission guidelines.
Can I sell my work directly to a visitor who has seen it in the Show?
You may arrange a sale after the Show closes. However, please note the Show depends on revenue from sales commissions to off set the costs of displaying the artwork on your behalf.
Can I sell cards and other merchandise at the Show?
No. We do not have a gift shop.
Can I demonstrate my work during the Show?
Yes. Demonstrations are encouraged and are scheduled in one-hour time slots during opening hours, Friday-Sunday.