- Must have good understanding of all positions and the whole process of preparing for and putting on the Sidney Fine Art Show.
- Sign in volunteers, provide ID tags and white gloves, ensure they are returned at shift end.
- Help Greeter(s) in assisting volunteers and public during Intake, Art Pick Up and Show days.
- Provide instruction for all volunteer activities.
- Provide personal assistance, support and relief where necessary
- Facilitate a smooth transition during shift changes.
- Ensure the overall process proceeds smoothly and efficiently.
NOTE: It is preferable for the Kitchen Manager to have Food Safe certification but is not mandatory.
- Ensure beverages (coffee, tea, water) are available for volunteers throughout the day.
- In the morning, lay out fruit and breakfast items.
- Pick up lunch items from supplier and put out around 11 am; restock as needed.
- Put snacks out all day and keep restocking as needed.
- Keep the kitchen clean and tidy at all times.
- Present a friendly welcome at the front door.
- Direct people to the appropriate area to unpack artwork and register.
- Confirm that artists have their Art Identification Form (AID) ready before proceeding to the In-Take area.
Opening Night Reception
- At the front doors, welcome Patrons, Sponsors, guests and Artists, check invitations and direct them to the appropriate areas.
- At the entrance to the Charlie White Theatre, check in Artists, Patrons and guests for the Awards ceremony.
- At the entrance to Bodine Hall, welcome guests and hand out catalogues.
- Welcome attendees and direct them to the Ticket Sales table.
- Know the location of the Artist demos, Sales desk, washrooms, etc. to assist attendees.
- Direct purchasers to Bodine Hall entrance for artwork pick up.
- Direct artists to Room 2 to sign in to pick up unsold artwork.
UNPACK/PACK TABLE ASSISTANTS
- Assist artists as required to unpack or pack their pieces. Do not interfere or take over to do it for them.
- Watch that no artwork falls or breaks.
- Keep the area clear of packing materials.
- Remind artists to take their packing material home with them and bring it back on pick-up day.
NOTE: This role requires attention to detail and accuracy. Orientation is provided on In-take Day prior to shift start.
- Information on the spreadsheets provided for art intake is the basis for the administration of all entered artwork. Errors in checking and recording the necessary information at this initial stage can lead to misidentified and/or misplaced artwork, potential liability claims for damages and other risks.
- Check the information on the Art Identification Form (AID) is complete and accurate.
- Identify incorrect information on the spreadsheet provided. Note corrections where applicable.
- Check artwork is ready for display and not damaged.
- Confirm email addresses, remind artist (or designate) of the pick-up time and date.
- Attach WHITE copy of AID to the correct Artist’s Entry Form.
- Attach YELLOW copy of AID to the artwork.
- Return PINK copy of AID to the artist. This is the artist’s receipt and is required for pick up of artwork at the end of Adjudication.
- Ensure artwork is correctly identified then hand to a Runner to take to the appropriate room.
- Check the artist’s AID forms with the spreadsheet information, confirm name and email address, note any corrections where applicable
- Attach the appropriate title card to the correct piece of art.
- Check YELLOW copy of AID remains attached to the back of the artwork.
- Return PINK copy of the AID to the artist.
- Ensure artwork is correctly identified then hand to a Runner to take to Bodine Hall.
RUNNERS (ARTIST ASSISTANTS)
NOTE: Significant walking and lifting of art is required for this position.
- Carry art to Artwork Crew in Bodine Hall and other display rooms.
- Help the artists carry artwork to/from their vehicles if they need and request assistance.
- Assist purchasers and artists locate artwork, check receipt with AID number.
- Escort purchasers and artists to exit door for final security check.
- Show purchasers and artists to the packing area.
Confidentiality is important.
NOTE: Significant walking and lifting is required for this position.
- Prepare rooms that will hold the artwork during adjudication.
- Take artwork from Runners and arrange in numerical order for judging.
- During the adjudication process, display artwork for the Jurors. Replace artwork in numerical order.
- During artwork pick-up, verify the number on the yellow AID form attached to the artwork agrees with number on Artist’s pink AID copy.
3-D ROOM HELPERS
Confidentiality is important
- Provide security at the door to ensure no unnecessary people enter.
- Ensure artwork and correct yellow Art ID Form (AID) stay together.
- Follow instructions from 3-D Room manager.
DISPLAY SET-UP HELPERS (Hangers)
NOTE: This position requires standing, walking on hard floors, lifting and handling heavy pieces and/or moving plinths.
Show Set Up Only
- Assist the Show Designer for Show Set up.
- Assist to arrange artwork on display panels and plinths in the Bodine Hall
- Further information will be provided by the Show Designer closer to the set up dates.
TITLE CARD DISPLAY HELPERS
Show Set Up Only
- Attach correct title cards beside each piece to identify the title, artist, medium and price.
- Create a map of the location of all artwork so individual pieces can found during the Show.
DOOR SECURITY ASSISTANTS
- For artwork pick up, check the artist’s copy of AID form with the yellow AID attached to the artwork to ensure the correct piece is retrieved.
- At the end of Show, check the purchaser’s sales receipt to ensure they have received the correct artwork.
- At the end of Show, check the artists’ copy of AID form with the yellow AID attached to the artwork to ensure the correct piece is retrieved.
- Collect Artist resumes from In-take tables. There will be 3 copies of each.
- Place each copy alphabetically into 3 accordion files.
- Insert artist resumes back-to-back in plastic sleeves in 3 separate binders provided.
NOTE: This job requires standing for the duration of the shift.
Show days only
- At entrance door, check tickets, give out catalogues at the entrance door to Bodine Hall.
- At the exit door, hand stamp visitors who wish to re-enter and ensure no one without a hand stamp enters.
- On the floor, carry clipboard with mapping information, answer questions about where specific pieces of artwork are located.
- Be observant. Keep security in mind.
- Circulate and rotate jobs as needed.
NOTE: Volunteers for this position must be comfortable with using Moneris machine for credit/debit card purchases, handling cash and making change.
- Sell tickets to Show attendees at the entrance to Bodine Hall.
- Instructions, cash float and Moneris machine are provided by the Show Treasurer.
NOTE: This role requires attention to detail and accuracy. Orientation is provided on Out-Take Day prior to shift start.
- Check artist’s PINK copy of AID with in-take information on the spreadsheet provided.
- Confirm artist’s name if designate is picking up artwork on their behalf.
- Direct artist to Bodine Hall where the Artwork Crew will assist with the retrieval of their piece(s).
- Remind artists YELLOW copy of AID must remain attached to artwork if accepted into the Show
- Check artist’s PINK copy of AID with information on spreadsheet provided.
- Ask artist to initial Pick Up column on correct line of spreadsheet for each piece they are picking up.
- Out-Take Recorder initials all PINK copies of AID to confirm artist has signed in.
- Direct artist to Bodine Hall to receive correct artwork.
Show Closing Helpers
NOTE: This job involves lifting and moving heavy boxes. A vehicle is required.
- Monday morning following the Show, assist the Organizing Committee with packing and removal of office and display items.
- Assist with transport of these items to storage area.